Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hey look! A legit blog post...sort of

I realized I hadn’t done a legit blog post in a while, and the power is currently out at the internet café, so I figure I may as well type something up and post it when it comes back on (if it comes back on).

It’s been a really weird week. I’ve been working my very pale butt off at work. There’s been a paper 18 times since I’ve arrived and I’ve had columns in 16 of them. I missed the very first day and there wasn’t one while I was in the North one day. But I’m exhausted. And running out of things to write about.

I’ve been moving around houses rapidly lately, trying to find a place to stay. I’ve stayed in roughly half of the 10 rooms at the YMCA. I moved around so much because the guesthouse was broken into, and I really like it at the YMCA (“It’s fun to stay at the….” Okay, that’s the only one).

Surprisingly, I really haven’t gotten that homesick. I miss people all the time, but people here remind me of people back home. Plus, there are so many people here that make sure I’m okay and taken care of, that I’m legitimately concerned I’ll get Sierra Leone sick when I get back.

Life is really good here. The bars are awesome, the food is good. I’m even starting to learn some Krio, which is the main language here. Everyone calls it “broken English” but it’s not quite that simple. I wish it was. Then I’d know a lot more phrases. A friend at the YMCA gave me a Peace Corps. Krio guide from 1985. It’s been very helpful. And funny. It’s phrase on how to ask a girl out translates to:
“Can I buy you a ring?”

The break in was scary. Fortunately, the would-be burglar was foiled by my housemate (and hero) Dr. James. He came home and scared the person away. I’m very thankful for that. He didn’t have time to take my suitcases or anything. I was sooooooooooooooooooo lucky. It’s times like this that I actually hope make you guys feel better about me being here. Things are working out (for the most part). God’s got my back. Which I really appreciate!

I know this is really random, and I promise there’ll be a better one soon. You might never even see this one if the power doesn’t turn back on in the next ten minutes. I just want everybody to know that I’m fine, doing well, miss everybody back home and will try to do a better job of keeping in touch. It’s not really up to me. It’s up to the internet, which is up to the weather.

Which is up to Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Hey which Sierra Leonian reminds you of me?

    ReplyDelete