Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First night/morning

I’ve never been so awake at 5 a.m. before in my entire life. I travelled across the world and found the world’s angriest, most awake dog. This beast barked for at least three hours straight, in the rain, and the wind and the dark of night. I wondered if he’d ever fall asleep (or just lose his voice). Fortunately, he did, but then the roosters started crowing. This could be an interesting trip.

Before going to bed I doused myself in bug spray and climbed into my sleep sheet. For the most part it worked. I think I have a new bite on my hand and one on my foot but for the most part I’m pretty happy with the results. I didn’t put my mosquito net up because a.) there was no place to hang it from and b.) I was too tired to barely stand up. But after what I’m going to call a six hour power nap I feel like I’m ready to get back in the game.

I woke up this morning and finally saw Freetown in the light. And it’s beautiful. I can see a huge hill from my room, and if I go on the balcony right outside my door I can see the ocean as well, with the ferries going back and forth. It’s an amazing view. I’m not sure how long I’ll be at the YMCA, but I’m going to enjoy it as much as I can while I can.

I’m grooving on my first Cliff bar in my stash this morning because it occurred to me that since I got to Sierra Leone, the only thing I’ve consumed is three Carlsberg beers. As awesome of a life as that might sound, I feel like I need a little more. I was told there was a restaurant here but I couldn’t find it, and I’m not sure how much they charge for breakfast. It’s probably not very much, but for now I’m kind of happy just to eat a Cliff bar. I know what’s in that.

It is hot and muggy in here. Even as I just sit here typing I’m sweating. And I’m not a sweater. I’m not sure how the shower works (or toilettes) so it’s been a very unhygienic first night. Lots of hand sanitizer has been used. I hope to get some time this afternoon to get online and ask a few people who’ve been here before how the heck things work. I also want to post the last three blogs so you guys all know how I’m doing.

Somebody from the paper is coming to get me in a half hour (8:30). I don’t know if I’m working today or for how long I’m going to be there. I would like to get a few things accomplished today but if I don’t get a phone and stuff today, I guess I got time. I’m going to be here awhile.

I have my window open and just hear loud yelling in a language I can’t understand. It’s oddly relaxing. Now that the darn dog has shut up, I like having my window open. I think I’m by a school or something because I can hear and see a lot of little kids running around outside.

I’m going to go take some pictures of the water so that I can maybe include them in here. We’ll see how well that plan works. I’ve noticed my plans rarely seem to work in west Africa, so screw it. Sierra Leone, let’s just play it by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment