Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Column No. 10-Congratulations Japan

Congratulations Japan
By David Krueger

This isn’t easy to write.

You might have seen the big picture of the Japanese women’s football team on the sports page of Awoko on Tuesday with a banner proclaiming “CHAMPIONS- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2011.”

I want to apologize about that. It wasn’t my decision to put it there. I’m not sure how it happened. As soon as I saw it, I charged into my editor’s office and demanded an apology.

Okay, that’s not exactly true. I politely knocked and entered his office, showed him the paper and asked “was this really necessary.”

Apparently it was.

On Sunday my beloved United States lost a heartbreaking championship game of the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup to Japan on penalty kicks.

After a scoreless first half, America struck first in the 69th minute off a beautiful shot in the bottom corner by Alex Morgan. However, Japan tied it 12 minutes later and the game went to extra time.

A wave of joy again swept over me when Abby Wambach headed in a goal with one minute left in the first extra time period. I thought it was only a matter of time (15 minutes to be exact) before the U.S.A. cemented its place as the top female football team in the world.

Then disaster struck. Japan Americaned the Americans, scoring an equalizer late in the game off a corner kick to force penalty kicks. Then, the United States forgot how to kick those. They missed their first two kicks, giving Japan an early 2-0 advantage.

America finally made a shot, but by then it was too late. Japan netted its third shot and clinched the championship. My night was ruined.

Coworkers and friend called and texted to offer their condolences and, in one very mean case, to rub it in.

By Tuesday I had done my best to put that tough game behind me. I thought I had moved on. I got back to Freetown, and came to work on Tuesday eager to write a column about my last day in Kambia and time in Port Loko.

Then I saw the sports page.

All the pain from Sunday night came back. As awesome as the Americans’ incredible win over Brazil was, this was equally unawesome.

Once I finally got past the awful picture (and nightmare) I decided to read the newspaper’s recap of the game. I had a disgusted look on my face until I got to the following sentence:

“The U.S. will be heartbroken and annoyed that they did not manage to secure a record third World Cup having dominated for long periods in the match.”

You know what? I am heartbroken and annoyed that the U.S. did not manage to secure a record third World Cup having dominated for long periods in the match. That is quality journalism. Capturing the mood of the people.

Almost on cue, the television showed the Japanese team arriving home to celebrate their victory with their fans. At the airport people were screaming and cheering, and at a press conference the team said it was already looking ahead to qualifying for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Can you believe that? First they take a World Cup away from me, and now they want to take the Olympic gold medal away too? Does that seem greedy to anybody else?

My pity party lasted a few more minutes until I had a startling revelation: Japan’s had a tough year. Earthquakes, tsunamis and nuclear power plant meltdowns are just a few of the challenges the country has faced in the last six months.

Japan had lost a lot. Maybe, just maybe, it was time for it to get a win.

I had been so focused on America’s incredible trip to the World Cup final, that I had overlooked Japan’s rather magical run entirely. After advancing out of the group stage, Japan took on Germany, the hometown favorites, and dispatched them on an extra time goal.

After that, Japan dominated Sweden in the semi-final, when it scored three goals and possessed the ball over 65 percent of the time.

In the championship game, the United States consistently attacked Japan, but couldn’t capitalize on its opportunities. The Japanese national team didn’t panic, and calmly answered every U.S. goal with one of their own.

The more I thought about it if America had to lose to somebody (key word: “had”), Japan was probably the team that would be the easiest to swallow. They became the first team from the Asian continent to ever win the World Cup, and brought joy to a nation that, quite frankly, could use a reason to cheer.

They were the sentimental favorites, and I didn’t even realize it until the tournament was over.

I still wish America could have pulled it off. I still wish Wambach’s goal had held up. I still wish I had gotten to watch an awards ceremony where Hope Solo, Megan Rampinoe and Amy Lepeilbet got to hold up the champion’s trophy.

But, if somebody else was going to hold that trophy up, I’m glad it was the Japanese team. So, after 850 words, I’m finally ready to say it: Congratulations Japan.

We’ll see you at the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment