Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Column No. 2-Independence Day

Cheers to independence
By David Krueger

Monday was the 4th of July, the day where every year the United States celebrates our independence from Britain. I learned soon after arriving in Sierra Leone, and couldn’t help but notice with signs, flags and paintings all around Freetown, that a monumental independence celebration occurred here recently as well.

Independence is truly an occasion worth honoring. Especially now with fights going on around the world in places like Syria, where citizens are currently forced to sacrifice so much, sometimes even their lives, for the prize of freedom and independence.

America and Sierra Leone are lucky to be able to have such a reason to celebrate.
On Independence Day in America most businesses and offices are closed. Friends and families have tremendous meals and large parties. In the evening we celebrate by lighting off fireworks for hours into the night, sometimes not stopping until well into the 5th of July.

When I was a child I would usually spend Independence Day in the state of North Dakota, which is where I was born. It’s located in the middle of the United States, about a four hour flight from where I grew up and went to school in Washington. There aren’t a lot of people in the state, but those that reside there are incredibly warm and friendly people.

In that way, North Dakota is the Sierra Leone of America.

My grandparents own a large piece of land, far away from any large cities. There my family and I would start a large bonfire, roast marshmallows, light off fireworks and enjoy each other’s company while celebrating the birth of our nation’s independence.

The last few years I have spent the night at my father’s house, sitting outside on the street watching as our neighbors lit up the sky with incredible firework displays. My hometown of Marysville, Washington is known across the state for having vendors that sell bright, spectacular and often dangerous fireworks.

In fact, many of the devices produced and sold in what is called “Boom City” are illegal in the U.S. because they are so powerful.

But that doesn’t stop some people from spending huge amount of money on illegal fireworks. Some residential areas even have unspoken contests, and sometimes spoken contests, to see who can put on the most impressive display.

It appears the closest I will get to fireworks this year was the thunderstorm that woke me up Monday morning at five. With booming thunder and flashing lightning I saw it as God’s way of giving me a little Independence Day celebration in Sierra Leone.
While lying awake in bed a little smile even slid across my face as I thought of the celebrations that would be going on in America on the evening of the 4th.

I am a little sad that I won’t be able to celebrate with my friends and family this year. However, even though I am halfway across the world I still feel a huge sense of patriotism today. While it’s true every day, on the 4th I am especially proud to be an American.

I am also proud to be spending the day of my country’s independence in a country that understands just how special and important that is.

Everywhere I go in Freetown, at least during my first five days, I’ve seen flags proudly waving. The green, white and blue striped banners are displayed all over the city. Some even emblazoned with the logo for the 50th Golden Jubilee Celebration.

Many products, including Star Beer, which I finally was able to try last weekend and loved, and this very newspaper have the logo on the label or at the top. It’s obvious to anybody who visits that this was, and still is, a very big deal and an important day for people across the country.

I’ve learned that there was an enormous program that even included the staple of any great independence celebration: fireworks.

This year I spent my country’s Independence Day visiting the Parliament building in Freetown. It seemed like an appropriate place to visit on this very special day. I was able to go along with a reporter and see where Sierra Leone’s laws are passed an enacted. I saw the graves of the founders of both the Sierra Leone People’s Party and the All People’s Congress.

I got the opportunity to learn a lot about the history of Sierra Leone, including much of how the country earned its independence 50 years ago.

It was a very different tale than that of my home country. The United States declared its succession from Britain on July 4th, 1776. That launched the American Revolution, an eight year war in which 50,000 U.S. troops were wounded or killed.

Ultimately, the much smaller America won the war, and its independence.

This year marks the 235th year that the United States of America has been independent. I am so excited for the people of Salone to get to this point. I wish I could be here personally to see the celebration in the year 2196. Unfortunately, by then I will be independent of this world. But don’t worry Sierra Leone, I’ll still be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment