Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Column No. 4-Do you believe in miracles?

Do You Believe in Miracles?
By David Krueger

I really like sports. I enjoy watching sports more than I enjoy almost anything (I really like to eat). I love the tension and excitement, and observing the athletes as they give absolutely everything they have so that they can emerge victorious.

Sports can save your day or ruin your mood. Sunday afternoon, it did both.

I had the distinct pleasure of watching the quarterfinal of the2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup between Brazil and my United States. If you watched the game, you know the incredible story I’m about to describe. If you didn’t, make sure you watch the semi-final this Wednesday!

The U.S. jumped ahead in the game in the second minute off an own goal by the Brazilians. When the ball came into the middle it bounced off a defender in the yellow and white and into the back of the net. It was beautiful.

That 1-0 score held up for the next 60 minutes, but then disaster struck. A (questionable, terrible and ridiculous) foul was called on an American defender, resulting in a red card for her and a penalty kick for Brazil.

I watched in disbelief as the penalty kick was set up, and Hope Solo, the U.S. goalkeeper, moved into her box. I’ve always liked Solo. She went to the same school, the University of Washington, as I did and she’s a very good player. She proved that fact by blocking the penalty kick.

But the referee wasn’t done pestering the Americans yet. She blew her whistle while the United States was celebrating and hugging Solo, indicating that she jumped off her line a split-second (or an imaginary second in my opinion) too soon. Brazil was given a second penalty kick, and capitalized, tying the score at 1-1.

Regulation finished without a goal, and extra time began. Down one player, the United States played a spectacular game just to force that. Just a few minutes into the extra time, Marta, supposedly the best female player in the world, scored a goal on what may have been an offside position with another referee.

It looked like the Americans’ luck had run out. Turns out it was just pacing itself.
With my mood thoroughly ruined, both by the second penalty kick and the extra time goal, I sat in what I’m going to call “nervous disgust” as the end of the match drew near.

Then, out of nowhere, boom! Miracle.

In the 122nd minute, as close to the end of the game as you can get without the whistle blowing, Abby Wambach (my pick for best female player in the world) headed the ball past the reach of the Brazilian defender and the game was tied.

I don’t remember if it came off a free kick, corner kick or just a cross. I was too busy celebrating. It doesn’t matter anyway. The important thing was my day was saved and my country was on the verge of moving on.

I jumped out of my chair with my arms in the air. I clapped and cheered. I looked around to make sure everyone else saw what I had just witnessed. Then I pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

Fortunately, this was really happening. The goal set up penalty kicks and the rest was history. Riding what has to be one of the largest emotional highs ever, all five Americans aced their penalty kicks.

Meanwhile, Solo blocked the kick of the same person who scored an own goal early on to send the United States to the semi-finals and ruin the day for Brazil.
It has been a long time since I’ve witnessed a game that exciting. On Saturday I watched the Blackpool-East End Lions game that saw a 90th minute goal give Blackpool the victory, but even that wasn’t quite on the same level.

On football’s biggest stage, down a player, facing the third-ranked team in the world (the U.S. is ranked No. 1, now we know why) the Americans didn’t give up. They rallied around each other and did what they needed to do, exactly when they needed to do it.

The United States faces France next on Wednesday, with a berth in the World Cup Championship on the line. I’m not going to say that America is destined to win, but I’d give them a pretty good chance of taking home the trophy after what I witnessed on Sunday.

Before the World Cup this summer I had never watched a professional women’s football game in my life. Now I can’t wait for the next one.

Women’s football is just as exciting as that of their male counterpart, perhaps even more so. The passes are just as crisp and the shots are just as impressive. The same determination and drive to win is there, and it produces football that is an utter joy to watch.

There are three more games in the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup, and I plan on watching all of them. Hopefully, two of those will include my beloved Americans.

I’m excited to see how many more miracles they have left in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment