Thursday, August 4, 2011

Column No. 15-Getting Recognized

Getting recognized
By David Krueger

One of the coolest parts about being in Sierra Leone is that I’ve gotten to the point where when I walk around Freetown people are starting to recognize me as “Dave” from Awoko Newspaper.

It’s pretty cool.

Personally, there’s no bigger honor for me as a journalist than somebody coming up to me to say they read and enjoyed something I wrote. That’s why I write. For all you guys.

I do a lot of writing while I’m here. I have columns and stories for Awoko which are the main reasons I’m here. Along with that I have a blog for my school, friends and family to look at to see what I’m doing in Salone.

I love reading and hearing comments on both of those to see what people think, even if they disagree. I realize that not everybody will always agree with me, or see the world the same way I do. That’s fine. It doesn’t mean either one of us is wrong (although, it is very possible I could be), and more often than not it’s the basis for a great discussion.

It’s probably important to note that I don’t just write for other people, although I love doing that and it’s what I want to do for a living. I also have a journal, where I get to write just for myself. I think it’s important to do this even in everyday life. It’s nice to write down your experiences and get certain things off your chest.

Plus, it allows me to think and reflect about experiences like the break-in last week, and use some choice language that isn’t exactly newspaper appropriate.

The first time I was recognized actually came in Kambia. While I was eating dinner at Kambia Africana Village, an Irish woman named Audrey came up and introduced herself to me. After I said my name and that I’m staying in Freetown, she asked if I happened to have a column in a newspaper there.

I smiled and shook my head. She informed me that she had just read my column that morning and was entertained by it. It was one of the happiest moments for me in Sierra Leone.

Audrey if you’re still reading, thank you!

Later that night two others at the guesthouse mentioned they had read about the time I went out to Atlantic Crossing and Aces and I finally felt like I belonged in Africa, which I wasn’t sure I ever would.

See, I kind of stick out while walking down the street. There are a few key attributes that separate me from the locals. I don’t speak Krio (yet). I usually forget my umbrella when it rains. And my skin is quite a bit lighter than most.

However, when I can talk to people about something that happened here, and share my side of an event, I feel a little bit like I belong. The conversations usually end with a “well, that’s Africa” or “only in Sierra Leone,” but I still have a better understanding of the country where I’ll reside until September 22nd.

I’m far from having life figured out here, but I’ll continue to work at it through these columns and talking to people.

Another cool occurrence was at a meeting for Canon that was held at the TAIA Resort last week. I was eager to meet the Ambassador to the United States, Michael Owen, and was eventually introduced. It turns out he’s been known to read my columns too, and knew all about my trip to Kambia.

It was incredibly exciting to know that someone I admire actually takes the time to read what I write and enjoys what I have to say.

Mr. Ambassador if you’re still reading, thank you!

Before this column is done, and everybody reading thinks “wow, Dave’s getting really cocky,” I want to personally guarantee that will never be the case. I tend to believe in balance. For every person who likes and agrees with what I write, there’s probably another who thinks I’m wrong.

I don’t write because I want to be famous and known all over (although I’m starting to think that would be kind of cool if it happened). Actually, I got in to journalism because I wanted to make a difference in the world.

I didn’t think I’d make it through law school, so journalism seemed like the next best way to go. I want to help people, by telling stories and raising awareness of issues that people might not normally know about.

In Sierra Leone I want to connect with the people and culture. These columns are about my moments in Salone, and what it’s like to be an American welcomed onto another continent. I get to talk all about what I think and how I feel, and, in return, I love to hear about what others think and how they feel.

From the workers at the Total fueling station by the Awoko office, to visitors who talk to me at the YMCA, it’s been a pleasure talking with each and every person I’ve met in Sierra Leone, and I look forward to two more months of meeting great people.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like your columns and your writing is not on par with what the UW Journalism department would like. I'm a hater.

    with love

    -Semir

    ReplyDelete