Friday, September 2, 2011

Column No. 29 - Musically Inclined

Musically inclined
By David Krueger

I’m not talented musically. At all. I can’t sing or play an instrument. I even sound funny when I try to hum a tune.

Perhaps that’s why I was so impressed with the performances and students of the Ballanta Academy of Music on Saturday night. The school held its Annual Student Concert and Presentation of Certificates at the British Council.

The students are talented. There’s no doubt about it. From Gladys Cummings-Wray, a Grade 2 Clarinetist, to Charlie King, the Grade 7 Vocalist who belted out John Kander’s “Mr. Cellophane,” they all impressed me.

They impressed everybody.

Thunderous applause was the norm Saturday night. Whistling and cheering became common noises.

For the final scheduled performance of the night, the Five Star Brass Wind Ensemble played “King of the Road.” They were met with such an ovation that they asked the crowd if they wanted one more song.

We did.

After the program I chatted with United States Ambassador Mr. Michael Owen, who handed out some of the certificates, for a couple minutes about the performances.

“I thought they were good,” Owen said. “What you see is a lot of talent that needs to be developed. … They can do that at Ballanta.”

That’s exactly what’s been going on for the last 14 years at the Academy on Liverpool Street. According to Mrs. Olufumilayo Chukwu, the Administrative Manager of Ballanta, the Academy is trying to teach its students how to read music and play it, not just try to reproduce what they hear.

“There’s a lot that’s happening musically,” said Chukwu. “But people only play it by ear. They’re musically illiterate.”

Chukwu says that Ballanta sets “musical standards” for those attending. They learn how to read music and reproduce pieces properly, not just guessing at the notes.

One of the funniest and coolest moments of the night came while the Music Teacher’s Workshop participants were being awarded their certificates. Chukwu was reading the names, while the German Deputy Head of Mission Mrs. Heidi Sedleczki was handing out certificates to the graduates.

While reading the names, Chukwu looked down at her list and began to smile a little bit.

“Olufumilayo Chukwu,” she announced. She then took a few steps to her right, shook Sedleczki’s hand and received her certificate.

Chukwu continuously praised the Academy after the program.

“It’s a school where we want to teach classical and African music,” she said. “We’re here to give people who want to get a musical education the help they need.”

Talking to Chukwu it was evident how passionate she was about the school, saying it takes up a lot of her time because of her job and the program she participates in. Sounding almost like she was trying to get me to enroll, she went right into how affordable the school is.

“Our fees are very, very reasonable,” Chukwu said.

She also pointed out that Ballanta works with the community to raise funds to help pay for some students’ school fees. Those students attend the Academy on a scholarship, and come to the school to use its instruments if they can’t afford their own.

“It’s really a unique institution in Sierra Leone,” Owen said.

I know that we have schools like this in the United States, but I think they’re much less affordable. I wish I had attended a school like this when I was younger. One of my biggest regrets is that I never knew how to read music. My other regret is that I never played American football. I could have been a great wide receiver. Now I’ll never know.

In secondary school we have a class called “band,” where students play instruments together and learn how to perform pieces for numerous concerts throughout the year.

However, my schedule was already full with English classes and my electives, Spanish and “Writing About Film.” I also loved my physical education classes where I got to play football, basketball, tennis and water polo, which was fun even though I can’t swim.

I thought about that during the program. I pondered about how cool it would be to have the expertise to be able to play an instrument the way Alieu Deen plays the trumpet or sing like Raymond Arthur Jones.

That’s not to say I’ve never tried. I regularly sing along with songs at bars, especially (and most loudly) whenever “I Love My Life” comes on. But there’s no way I’ll ever have the skill that the students of Ballanta have.

I realized that as I sat there watching students, some of which were probably half my age, mastering the piano, conquering the clarinet, dominating the tuba and controlling their voice. They were all obviously talented and, thanks to Ballanta, were able to hone that talent and master their individual crafts.

And put on one great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment